ExpoCoverage , Gear/Apparel , Videos

Giro Xar Helmet and Code Mountain Bike Shoe

Eric Richter from Giro gives us a close-up look at the new Xar helmet and Code mountain bike shoes.

YouTube Preview Image

Giro Xar Helmet
-Flow through ventilation
-Compact shape
-Hard body durability
-Medium length visor with adjustable internal clutch mechanism
-15° of adjustment on the visor
-In molded upper and lower hardbody
-Fully adjustable, micro adjustable Roc Loc 5 fit system
-Picks up where the Zen helmet left off
-Available in 6 colors
-Retail $130

Giro Code Mountain Bike Shoe
-High end cross country shoe
-EC90 Carbon outsole, unidirectional carbon, ultra light, ultra stiff
-Optimized density outsole
-Teijin premium Japanese microfiber upper
-Supple, durable, water resistant, but doesn’t stretch
-Sonic welded reinforcement in key high wear areas
-SuperNatural Fit system footbed with X-Static top sheet that is anti-microbial and low friction
-Custom adjustable arch support system with 3 levels of arch support to match arch profile
-Enhances pedaling, efficiency, power transfer and overall comfort and fit
-Retail $280

For more information: www.giro.com

NOTE: There are two ways to comment on our articles: Facebook or Wordpress. Facebook uses your real name and can be posted on your wall while Wordpress uses our login system. Feel free to use either one.

Facebook Comments:

Wordpress Comments:

• Brian Mullin says:

I tried both the helmet and shoes on at Sea Otter, and they were pretty comfortable. The shoes are really trick and well made, and the adjustable arch will help it work with a variety of feet. The helmet fit nicely, and the ROC adjustment made it easy to cinch it down, and it will be interesting to see how the ventilation works in the real world, and whether the P.O.V. adjustable visor is useful?

Full reviews are forthcoming.

• Hanna says:

I purchased the helmet last week, after riding for years with
    Out a lid decided my brains were too valuable to spill on the street.
    Great air flow and the straps do not pinch. I chose the lime/blue
    Whatever it’s called…i used it the other day in 80 degree weather
    And i stayed cool. great item

• rockhop says:

The vents on my Xen work really well. Once you’re moving you can feel the air flow through so I would expect this to perform at least as well. I never had a need to adjust the visor. Always kept it low but since it’s hinged it never broke during a crash. Occasionally I would simply pop it back on. The padding looks improved and if the claimed compact design means it sits lower on the head (than the Xen) then I’m all the more intrigued.

• tae says:

I’ve had my Xar since just before Christmas. It’s got the typical Giro fit (long fore-aft and tight to the sides). Things I don’t like include the way the straps are molded right into the helmet. Its difficult to describe why it happens but the straps end up getting really twisted above the ear and can be a little annoying. Lastly, the flow might be good compared to the Xen but after having ridden with a Catlike Whisper for a few years now it doesn’t have nearly the same level of low-speed air flow. At a typical XC speed your head will be hot. You’ve got to really get moving for the air to get into the helmet.

• Jason says:

The Micro-Adjust is retarded. Its too small and too hard to turn. Why WHY!!!
    The shoes look really nice. I like the black and orangyred color scheme

• Brian M says:

I just got the Gage shoes a couple weeks ago, best fitting bike shoes I’ve ever owned. In the past I’ve always had to buy the SuperFeet insoles to get a better fit and add comfort. Even though the Gage shoes don’t come with the adjustable insole they provide the right amount of support for my feet.